What is the National Junior Honor Society?
The National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) is a program through which qualified students have a unique opportunity to build on their accomplishments. The NJHS focuses on the five pillars of membership. The following list of the pillars, except for Scholarship, has been taken directly from the NJHS Website:
- Scholarship: Our chapter requires a 95% cumulative GPA.
- Service: This involves voluntary contributions made by a student to the school or community, done without compensation.
- Leadership: Student leaders are those who are resourceful, good problem solvers, and idea contributors. Leadership experiences can be drawn from school or community activities while working with or for others.
- Character: The student of good character is cooperative; demonstrates high standards of honesty and reliability; shows courtesy, concern, and respect for others; and generally maintains a clean disciplinary record.
- Citizenship: The student who demonstrates citizenship understands the importance of civic engagement; has high regard for freedom and justice; respects democracy; respects the law for all citizens at the local, state, and federal levels; and demonstrates mature participation and responsibility in activities such as scouting, community organizations, or school clubs.
Who are the district's NJHS advisors?
- Ms. Bouma
- Mrs. Rough
Both teachers are faculty members at High Mountain School.
How do I apply?
Students entering 7th or 8th grades can apply by invitation only. An official invitation letter will be sent to selected students after a data-based, selection process has been conducted by school administrators. Invitations are distributed in the spring. An application packet will be provided after that time.
How do I become a member?
If you receive an invitation, you must complete a time-sensitive, comprehensive application packet to showcase your qualifications and commitment to the five pillars (listed above). Seventh and Eighth Graders at High Mountain School should:
- Participate in numerous extracurricular activities such as sports, school clubs, volunteer programs, etc.
- Be able to provide valid proof of this participation.
- Hold themselves to a high standard of behavior; no detention slips should exist.
- Maintain healthy social relationships with others.
If I am already a member, how do I retain my membership?
Student members must:
- Pay the yearly dues.
- Work towards maintaining their GPA.
- Attend monthly meetings set by the advisors.
- Accumulate service hours throughout the year.
- Adhere to the ByLaws of the NJHS.
A Final Note:
Students invited and later selected to join NJHS will balance their academic excellence and well-rounded personal lives in a way that will benefit the NJHS - attributes we value in our district's students.
This information is subject to change.