The objective at High Mountain and Memorial School is to have students dress in an appropriate way which does not cause a disruption to the normal school operation and/or bring attention to one’s self. Make-up and clothes must be gender appropriate and not excessive to the point of distraction. The administration reserves the right to determine what is appropriate. The following dress code guidelines will take effect immediately.
- Shorts and dresses must be worn at a length that is appropriate for school. Shorts may be worn year round.
- Crop pants that are mid-calf may be worn all year. Capri pants that fall just below the knee may be worn year round.
- Clothing with holes, rips, or tears may not be worn as they present a hazard to students’ safety. Cut-offs are acceptable if neatly trimmed.
- Clothing that makes vulgar or distasteful comments or promotes violence, advertises alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, or drugs is prohibited.
- Clothing must not be revealing. Some examples of inappropriate clothing include halter tops, strapless dresses/tops, spaghetti straps, off-the-shoulder or low cut tops, see through tops, bare midriffs, and/or shirts that reveal the belly button. Clothing shall be sufficient to conceal undergarments at all times.
- Tank tops or fishnet shirts are prohibited. However, sleeveless shirts that fall directly under the underarm are permitted.
- Gang related apparel such as pants that drag the ground, belts with an overhang, and chains, chokers, or dog collars is prohibited.
- Beepers or cellular phones are prohibited on school grounds. Walkmans are prohibited in school.
- Graffiti on the body and clothing is prohibited.
- Hats, caps, visors, sweatbands, sunglasses are prohibited. Bandanas and headbands worn on the forehead are prohibited.
- Beach shoes such as thongs are prohibited. Sandals are permitted.
- Unusual hairstyles, colors, and shaved heads are prohibited.
- No heely's
Consequences of Dress Code Violations
- First violation – Temporary removal from class until dress code regulations are met; parents contacted.
- Second violation - Temporary removal from class until dress code regulations are met; parents contacted and detention until 3:04 p.m.
- Third violation - Temporary removal from class until dress code regulations are met; parents contacted and detention until 3:30 p.m.
- Additional violations will be considered willful defiance of school policy and in-school suspension will be applied.